Thursday, November 11, 2010

It's Raining, It's Pouring - Disc Golf Adventure, Take 2

After my earlier attempt this week to find the disc golf course, I thought I'd better take another stab at it before the weather gets too bad. I checked the forecast before I went, and while it wasn't great, it was similar to the forecast we've had for the last few days. This morning it said the temperature was 4C (39F for you Americans) and the wind was gusting up to 28km/h (17mph). The picture had a mixture of sun and rain (just like the one below). Why not give this a try? I dressed in 4 shirts (including my hoodie), leggings and jeans, and two pairs of socks.

The Weather After I Got Home

As you can see from the updated forecast, it got quite a bit windier throughout the day. My bike ride was uneventful but a bit chilly for the first half of the way there. As soon as I hit unfamiliar ground (just a little past where I made it on my previous attempt), it started to drizzle a little bit. Since the rain seems to come in cycles, I continued riding, hoping it would clear up, or at least not get any worse. I crossed the big canal and the highway (by bridge, of course) and the skies opened up. The wind got stronger and whipped the rain horizontally across my body. The wind was so strong that it actually blew my bike sideways. I knew I was close to the course, which was near some buildings (including a library), so I thought if I made it to the park, I might be able to find somewhere to go inside. However, I couldn't find the library or any stores (except a pharmacy). The buildings were all apartments, schools, or office buildings. I decided to go ahead and play a few holes (which, if you checked out the description in the link earlier, you'll know is all that's there). The holes were quite short, so I actually played pretty far behind the tee areas (none of which were marked well anyway).

"Course", Filled with Seagulls
 When I was finished (a mere 15 minutes later), I was soaked head to toe and ready to head back.

Trying Not to Get Blown Over By the Wind

The ride back was filled with even more intense rain and wind. Hours later, the rain still hasn't let up, so I guess it's good that I didn't wait at the library for a break in the weather. I think my next disc golf adventure (which I'll save for a less rainy day) will be to check out the 18 hole course in Amsterdam (which appears to be a little more legitimate park).


Blurry because it was so windy I couldn't hold the camera still.

2 comments:

  1. Disc golf just doesn't seem to be working for you. I am enjoying this blog tremendously! You are a fantastic writer and I love your mini-adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog