Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Week at a Time: May 28 - June 3, 2011

On Saturday, I went to Mr. Traveler's baseball game despite the high chances of rain. The game was crazy, with one of their players stealing home with 2 outs and them ending the game with the run rule in the 7th inning with a score of 26-0. Luckily we were on the winning side. Right before Mr. Traveler and I left, the rain started, so we had a nice and damp ride home. In the evening, we headed to Amsterdam for a wine tasting, based on the British show QI: Quite Interesting. The host divided the group into 2 sides, and as we sampled the wines, we competed by answering random trivia about wine and related (and not-so-related) topics.

My picture for the day is not really related to the events, but more to the fact that I have no pictures of the events. A few weeks ago, my camera started displaying an error message. I tried everything suggested online to fix it, but nothing worked. As a result, I became limited in my ability to just take quick snap shots since I had to rely on carting the DSL around. (Don't worry. This problem has since been rectified with the purchase of a new camera to tote around with me. It arrived today! I guess I should probably be a little more careful with this one.)
May 28 - Oh no!
On Sunday, I volunteered at the national Dag van het Park event, explaining disc golf and handing out orange discs (like the one below). I've elaborated a little more on this experience in the entry Dag van het Park.
May 29 - Dag Van Het Park
Monday, while many of our friends in the States enjoyed Memorial Day cookouts and trips to the lake, our lives continued as usual, except that Mr. Traveler worked from home for the day. In the afternoon, we took a walk through the park to get out of the house, and I took a few pictures of birds along the way.
May 30 - Black Bird
Tuesday, I spent the afternoon baking bread for breakfast toast and the following cheese and jalapeño rolls to go with our dinner. I loved the rolls and could have eaten one after another (even though they were quite filling). I started out with this recipe, but changed the cheese since cheddar isn't readily available here. I also followed the basic roll recipe in my Joy of Cooking cookbook for cook times and temperatures since the online recipe was aimed at a loaf and not rolls.
May 31 - Cheese and Jalapeño Rolls
Wednesday, I decided to take advantage of the sunshine and spent a few hours in the park reading. While I was there, I spotted a couple who had brought their cat along on their picnic and a lady walking the following Dr. Seuss-like dog. I finally left when a game of Frisbee encroached on my space, the disc flying over me once and landing on my blanket another time.
June 1 - Dr. Seuss Dog?
Thursday was Hemelvaartsdag (or Ascension Day), which is a national holiday in the Netherlands. Most businesses were closed for the day, so Mr. Traveler ended up working from home. In the evening, he surprised me by volunteering to cook dinner. (He used to actually cook for me a lot when we lived in the States, but with the way our schedules are over here, it just makes more sense for me to do the bulk of cooking.) I snapped a picture of the tuna steak he prepared. It was so good!
June 2 - Tuna Steak
One of the people I met at the Dag van het Park event on Sunday sent an email asking if anyone would be interested in catching a round of disc golf at Sloterpark in Amsterdam on Friday. I hadn't played disc golf (other than at the demo) since the Dutch Open at the beginning of April, and I was grateful for a chance to play a full course again. Even though park maintenance had left large patches of stinging nettle covering the fairways of several holes (on some holes it literally covered the entire fairway), I still had a great time. It was a great way to wrap up the week and to start my weekend, which included a few more trips to Amsterdam.
June 3 - Time for Disc Golf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog