Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Beauty in Different Places

The nice round of snow that we had for the past 2 days has started to melt and refreeze. This made my ~5 mile round trip bike ride to the gym a little interesting. (I chose this gym because an entire year costs the same as 2 months at any of the other gyms.) While most of the bike paths are completely dry, the streets and paths near our home and near the gym are still covered with a combination of ice and snow. Luckily, I managed to control my bike even when it slipped a couple of times and still have no falls to report (hopefully I'm not jinxing myself)!

Since the ride to and from the gym wasn't too interesting besides that, I thought I'd share a few photos that we've taken recently.

The other day, I took a walk in the park and played around with our SLR camera a bit. The result was a  bunch of pictures of ducks and other birds, varying in quality. Here are a couple of the better ones:

Taken at Wilhelmina Park
Another Duck at Wilhelmina
In contrast, the following pictures are from a more urban setting. During my hunt to find the disc golf course a few weeks ago, I had ridden through a tunnel of graffiti. The images on the wall were so amazing and colorful, that when my husband and I were in the area again, I insisted that we stop to ride through the tunnel again. We were on our way back from a long bike ride (to a canceled rugby game) and were freezing cold. I think it was worth the small, detour however. My favorite part about the tunnel is that the bright colors contrast so much with the so often gray skies.

Graffiti Tunnel
Image from Tunnel
I love how different the duck images are from those of the tunnel filled with graffiti but how they both, in their own way, represent beauty and the city of Utrecht.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog