Saturday, March 26, 2011

Amersfoort: Old and New

The Bookworms meeting this past Monday was in Amersfoort, and since I had never been to the city, I headed over early to wander around and see the sites. Before leaving, I glanced through a couple Web sites of "thing to do" in Amersfoort, including the Wikipedia entry for the city. I didn't see mention of many "must see sites", so I decided to play it by ear, making sure to get a glimpse of the old city wall and possibly the wall houses.

Arriving in the city, I was surprised by the modernity of the train station. As I walked further, however, I realized that the train station was only one example of the modern architecture surrounding the old medieval city. I liked the contrast of the old and new in the different parts of the city.

I walked through the center, which plays home to both modern shopping and charming old plazas/market squares. I grabbed some frites (my favorite so far) and a Fanta at Vlaamse Friteshuis “van Gogh” and sat in the park while I ate. I watched as people walked by and dogs met in spontaneous play groups. Then, I walked around the perimeter of the old city, observing the ancient walls, the amazing reflections in the water, a hot air balloon, modern art work and the cute wall houses (Muurhuizen). 


Here are just a few of the pictures I took on my walk:


Train Station
Part of Old Wall with Entrance to City
Hot Air Balloon over Amersfoort

Sunset Reflection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog