Sunday, March 27, 2011

Laser Light Show

Like the last few of my posts, this one is a few days overdue, but I still think interesting enough to share. On Monday, as one of my new friends from the Bookworms group was driving me home, we noticed an odd site in the sky. It looked a little like this:
Lights in the Sky
However, as soon as I got home, I forgot about what I'd seen and went on with my normal evening routine (i.e. plopping myself down in front of the t.v.). The next day, however, there was a nice article in the paper about the lights (well, I'll assume it was nice since I could just pick out a few words). I mentioned it to Mr. Traveler, showed him the picture, and then forgot about the lights again. Well, later that night Mr. Traveler peaked out the window and saw the light for himself. He decided it would be fun to photograph, and we made plans to head out the next night on a walk.

In the meantime, I did a little research about the lights. I'd already figured out from the newspaper article that the lights would be displayed from March 20 to 26 starting at 8:00pm. Further research revealed that the lasers (called Sol Lumen) shone from Utrecht University to the Dom Tower in the center of Utrecht (over three kilometers) in celebration of the 375th anniversary of Utrecht University and in conjunction with the Trajectum Lumen, a light show highlighting major sites in the city center. The lasers are supposed to symbolize the bond between knowledge and culture.


Anyway, now that you know what it is all about, here are some pictures from our walk. I especially like the one with the water. 


From Wilhelmina Park
Lake and Lights

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog