Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Week at a Time: May 7-13, 2011

Once again, I'm going to keep this post brief, as I plan to spend plenty of time talking about the week during my recap of our fifth set of company (my parents). I want to keep up with the continuity of doing the Week at a Time posts, though, at least until my photo project is done at the end of the year. So here it goes...

On Saturday, we recovered from our fourth set of guests and prepared for our fifth. It was my only day (and night) alone with Mr. Traveler for a 3 week span, so I tried to absorb every relaxing moment. While I had to do a little laundry (sheets and towels) to prepare for the guests, most of the day was spent resting. We even took a picnic out to the park and just laid on a blanket, watching the ducks and other park visitors.
May 7 - Bikes on Break
On Sunday, I went to Amsterdam to pick up my parents, and took the following picture in the Utrecht Centraal train station, which is currently being renovated. In the picture below, you can see the arches from the original station, the more modern station in the background, and finally the construction which will lead to a state of the art train station (which hopefully preserves some of the old charm... I've heard rumors that it will).
May 8 - Construction Zone
Monday, during our visit to Amsterdam, I took this picture of the Dutch National Monument in Dam Square. The obelisk was dedicated in May 4, 1956 by Queen Juliana as a memorial to the victims of WWII and as a monument to liberation and peace.
May 9 - Rembrance
Tuesday, at the Speelklok Museum in Utrecht, I snapped the following picture of a player piano with three violins, all played automatically by the instrument.
May 10 - A Different Kind of Player Piano
On Wednesday, I revisited Keukenhof, but without Mr. Traveler along, had free reign of our digital SLR. I took advantage and snapped many photos including the following one.
May 11 - Keukenhof, Revisted
On Thursday, we ended up out at the pancake house, but since it was my third time in as many weeks to make the trip, I opted for a wrap instead.
May 12 - It's a Wrap
Friday, I finally made it out to the beach in Scheveningen (near Den Haag). The beach seemed to go on forever, and pictures didn't really do it justice. However, I did snap some photos of the impressive sand sculptures that were up for the International Sand Sculpture festival, including the one below:
May 13 - Sand Sculpture

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog