Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Week at a Time: July 30- Aug 5, 2011

Last week started with the baseball game in Leidsche Rijn and the balloon of doom. I took this picture on the way to the game. The city has installed sensors in the "ribbon" around the park, which track times for runners. Pretty high tech!
July 30 - Sensor
On Sunday, we took it pretty easy, but did venture out for a short walk. I snapped this picture of a bicycle overgrown by a vine. If we stored our bikes in our garden, I'm sure they would have succumbed to this fate long ago. 
July 31 - Overgrown
Monday, I headed over to Kanaleneiland to pick up some clothes storage bags at IKEA. On the way back, I took some pictures of a familiar construction site. In a few years, this will be home to the new Vredenburg concert hall, if I have my info correct.
Aug. 1 - Concert Hall
On Tuesday, I ventured into Gouda. I had read about the beautiful stained glass in the Sint Janskerk and finally made time to see it for myself. The age, amount, and quality of the stained glass was amazing, and I'm glad I squeezed in this touristy trip. The church did not permit photography inside, but you can see some photos of the glass on the church's website (linked above). Here is a peek of the church from a few blocks away.
Aug. 2 - Framed
Wednesday, I finally started to make some preparations for our flight home. I marked the date on the calendar and began the process of packing our clothes.
Aug. 3 - Almost Home
Thursday, I spent some time walking around and taking pictures of some of our favorite local stores. I also snapped quite a few shots of vacation signs. I liked this broodjes sign as it is a reminder of typical Dutch food.
Aug. 4 - Broodjes
On Friday, we wrapped up the week with a trip to Sunshine, an Ethiopian restaurant. I wish we had tried the restaurant earlier, because it was really good. In the picture below, you can see a shot of the coconut beer I tried. Unfortunately, I was so enthusiastic about the food, I forgot to take any pictures of our actual meal.
Aug. 5 - Ethiopian Coconut Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog