Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Week at a Time: June 11-17

I'm just about finished sorting through our vacation pictures, so I promise more posts about our trip to the Eastern Mediterranean are coming soon. In the meantime, I thought I'd catch you up via the Week at a Time posts for the last few weeks, starting with June 11-17.

Mr. Traveler played a baseball tournament in Groningen over the weekend (June 11-12), so I had the place to myself. On Saturday, I decided to get out of the house and do a little window shopping. On my way through the Neude square, I noticed a large set up with a stage. I wasn't quite sure of the purpose, but made a mental note to swing by on my way back. Later in the day, there were a lot of people in the square, each with their own frosted cake hanging from a string. After a little internet research, I found out they were trying to set a record for the number of pink cakes (frosting is on the other side of this one) eaten at the same time. So bizarre.
June 11 - Eating a World Record?
On Sunday, I decided to take a book and go and grab coffee and, once again, just get out of the house. I also took my camera along, so on the way back, I took this picture of an old wind vane.
June 12 - In the Wind
Monday, I hopped on the bus to Zeist to check out a book market. The Oude Boekenmarkt had a good selection of coffee table books (in both English and Dutch), some special interest books (sewing, cooking, aircraft, etc), and a small selection of fiction (especially in English). I ended up purchasing a coffee table book about Utrecht.
June 13 - Oude Boekenmarkt
Tuesday, I ran some last minute errands to get ready for our big trip. Mr. Traveler arrived with a surprise - a new fish eye lens for our camera, so of course, I had to try it out.
June 14 - Fish Eye
Wednesday, we flew to Venice. After our bus misadventures, we finally made it into Venice and enjoyed watching a lunar eclipse.
June 15 - Lunar Eclipse in Venice
Thursday, we had a full day of sightseeing, including several stops in art exhibits and museums. I'll tell you about the following picture in my entry about that day.
June 16 - When Furniture Creates Art
Friday, we once again had a full day in Venice. Mr. Traveler decided to order a Venetian specialty - cuddlefish (or sepie) served in it's own ink. As a former student of a psychology professor who researched cuddlefish in his lab, the dish was not least bit appealing to me.
June 17 - Sepie Tongue
Keep your eye out for more details about our Venice vacation, coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog